January 14, 2008

You Mean It's not an Anime Track?

So I've recently begun listening to L'Arc~en~Ciel's non-anime tracks, and I have to say, I'm fairly impressed. They do a good job of mimicking the sound of Western alternative rock (my "preferred" genre of music), and, especially on KISS, are able to provide a good mix of fast and slow-tempo songs, each with varying degrees of intensity.

I think overall, this venture into Japanese music has worked out a lot better than my former one, when I started listening to Ayumi Hamasaki and Utada Hikaru during the summer, even though the genres of music that they perform (namely, pop and R&B) are not they type that I usually listen to. However, I do enjoy listening to YUI, since I view her music as a bit less pop-y (although, strictly speaking, it is still very pop rock).

So I'm thinking about branching out in my Japanese music tastes, preferably with a few groups that are alternative-sounding in nature. I'm thinking about listening to some more FLOW, but they also (from what I've heard) are more R&B/dance heavy, rather than alternative. Maybe UVERworld? Nightmare? Last Alliance (I really enjoyed their ending to Ouran High School Host Club). Anyone out here with some suggestions for this, they'd be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I'm going to listen to some more "MY HEART DRAWS A DREAM".

No comments: